Table of Contents
- 1 Family Wellness
- 1.1 What is an essential oil?
- 1.2 Concentrated plant immunity
- 1.3 Quality & Purity process
- 1.4 Essential oil Usage
- 1.5 The first way we will discuss is Aromatically
- 1.6 The second way we can apply essential oils is Topically
- 1.7 The third way we use essential oils is Internally
- 1.8 Dosage, Frequency, and Best Practices
- 1.9 Common Family Wellness Concerns
- 2 Essential Oils and Natural Solutions
- 2.1 On Guard Protective Blend
- 2.2 Lavender
- 2.3 Lemon
- 2.4 Peppermint
- 2.5 TriEase Seasonal Blend
- 2.6 Oregano
- 2.7 Frankincense
- 2.8 InTune Focus Blend & Balance Grounding Blend
- 2.9 Breathe Respiratory Blend (Easy Air)
- 2.10 DigestZen
- 2.11 AromaTouch Massage Blend
- 2.12 PastTense Tension Relief Blend
- 2.13 Deep Blue Soothing Blend (Ice Blue)
- 2.14 Family Supplements
- 3 Listen To The Online Class
- 4 Watch The Online Class
This is the first class I like to teach people who are getting into essential oils. Here are some of the basics for everyone.
What is an essential oil?
- Essential oils are
- Natural aromatic compounds found in plants
- Steam distilled or cold pressed extraction
- Powerful, safe benefits without side effects
- 50 to 70 x more powerful than herbs
- The essential oils are released from the oil sacs through careful extraction methods of distillation and cold press
Concentrated plant immunity
- It takes a lot of plant materials to make a small bottle of essential oils
- See my page on concentration.
- The essential oils in each bottle is concentrated plant immunity. Another example of this concentration is the fact that 1 drop of Peppermint oil is equal to 28 cups of Peppermint tea.
Quality & Purity process
- dōTERRA essential oils go through a strict quality control process.
- First, the distilled essential oil is sent to 3rd party scientists (independent from dōTERRA) to test for its purity and potency. They use the very latest sophisticated methods for these tests. If and when it passes these tests, the oils are sent to dōTERRA.
- Second, at dōTERRA, the doTERRA scientists test the oils further a liter at a time, before and during bottling for purity and to make sure there are no contaminants during the bottling process.
- Third, after the oils are bottled and labeled, dōTERRA keeps a sample of each batch for further testing to make sure that the essential oils remain stable and microbial free.
CPTG Purity and Potency Process
Essential oil Usage
- There are three ways we can use essential oils: Aromatically, Topically, and Internally.
The first way we will discuss is Aromatically
- Aromatically means to breath the oils into the lungs—this is a direct way to the brain.
Activity: Put a drop of Easy Air (US: Breathe) oil in the palms of the hands of the class participants and ask them to inhale. This demonstrates how essential oils can ‘open airways.’
- The brain registers aroma twice as fast as it does pain. The olfactory nerve cells are the only sensory pathways that open directly into the brain.
- When you inhale essential oils, oil molecules enter into your respiratory system as well as your brain.
- In your lungs, molecules of essential oils attach themselves to oxygen molecules and are carried into your bloodstream and circulated to every cell in your body.
The second way we can apply essential oils is Topically
Topically means applying the essential oils directly on the skin. The oils are absorbed into the body through the skin.
- Rub the oils on the areas you hurt or have discomfort.
- Massaging essential oils on the bottom of the feet is one of the best ways to get the oils into the body quickly. This is because the bottom of the feet is the most porous part of our body.
- The essential oils penetrate the skin through our skin pores and hair follicles, where they are absorbed by the capillaries. They will then be absorbed into the bloodstream.
- Essential oils have a very tiny molecular weight and size. This is why they are easily absorbed through the skin. They take seconds to enter the body. They can take anywhere from 15 minutes to 12 hours to be fully absorbed into all the cells of the body. They take about 3 to 6 hours to be expelled or metabolized in a normal healthy body, and up to 12 to 14 hours for an unhealthy or obese body.
- Another interesting thing about the essential oils is that each oil can take a different pathway through the body.
- Unlike synthetic drugs, essential oils do not accumulate in the body. Essential oils have a very low potential to be physically habit-forming because they are eliminated extremely quickly through the skin and organs. Hence, there is no residual or accumulative effect to withdraw from or to become addicted to.
The third way we use essential oils is Internally
- For many people, this is a new way to apply essential oils. Essential oils previously available have not been pure enough to ingest safely. You should only ingest 100% pure, plant-produced essential oils. CPTG (or Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade) is a standard you can trust. It is guaranteed to give you the level of purity and potency you need.
- Which oils can or should you take internally? Follow a usage guide like Modern Essentials. As a rule, if it sounds like a food, and it is CPTG, you can ingest it. For example Lemon Oil.
- Taking essential oils internally will help your organs and digestive tract.
- Only take the oils internally when it makes sense to. Many people are accustomed to ‘popping a pill’ for every ill. With essential oils, it’s a new paradigm, so consider also to utilize the oils topically and aromatically too.
Dosage, Frequency, and Best Practices
To get optimal benefits from using essential oils here are some things to consider:
- Use Consistently. The oils can be metabolized quickly so you should use the essential oils on a regular consistent basis for best results.
- Diluting of essential oils a little helps them stay on the skin longer. In fact, some essential oils need to be diluted to be effective. Some ‘hot’ or ‘spicy’ oils need to be diluted when using topically on sensitive skin. Ice Blue is an example of a ‘hot’ oil. Dilute essential oils with a lotion or a carrier oil such as Fractionated Coconut oil.
- Address issues singularly —don’t try to fix all your health issues in one go. Look at what is most urgent and work on that first. You’ll find that as you go, the other issues either disappear without much effort because they may be connected to the first issue.
- Always take the holistic fundamental approach— almost all ailments have many causes. So be fully aware of other potential causes: the role of toxins in your environment, pro-inflammatory and toxic foods and drink you take in, cleaning products you come in contact with, your feelings & emotions, electromagnetic exposure, foreign invaders (such as fungus, parasites, bacteria, or viruses), excess stress, lack of sleep, and inability to rest and repair. These are all factors which play a part in everyone’s health. When we reduce toxins, manage stress, get quality sleep, etc. our body can heal properly. Applying essential oils will be most effective when addressing the holistic wellness picture.
- Proper dosage and quantity. Be sensible and adjust the amounts of oils you use accordingly.
- Our body has a finite ability to metabolize. CPTG essential oils are very safe to use. However, even good things become less effective if they are not used intelligently and with moderation. For example, we can put ourselves in a coma simply by drinking 5 gallons of water in one go.
- Find your therapeutic benefit range. We are all unique so practice using the oils until you find your therapeutic range. Start with a drop or two and increase it until you find the range that is right for you. Let yourself tap into your power of intuition.
- Every oil is different, every body is different.
- Frequency and Dosage vary depending on the person and the particular oils applied (and how they are applied).
- As you experience essential oils, you will be able to adjust frequency and dosage to your personal needs. Remember to use essential oils consistently because your body will metabolize the them.
- Allow yourself to be intuitive and learn what your body needs.
- Some essential oils may work for one person and yet may not work the same way for another. There are primary and secondary essential oils in most essential oil guides. Try a few to find what works for you personally.
- Timing may be different for different oils. You will find that you love some essential oils and they take only seconds to work. Other essential oils, however, may not be your favorites or may take longer to work. The key here is to refer to a guide and experiment. Experimenting with different oils and usage practices will give you confidence.
Common Family Wellness Concerns
- Head & Neck
Aches & Tension: Mix and rub on Lavender, Peppermint, Frankincense, & Copaiba
Focus & Learning: Apply InTune & Balance + Diffuse Wild Orange & Peppermint
Overheated: Lavender, Peppermint, & Frankincense – mixed and rubbed on body
- Shoulders, Knees & Muscles
Aches & Tension: Apply PastTense on shoulders
Muscles: Consider using all or some topically, AromaTouch, Deep Blue, Lemongrass, Siberian Fir, Peppermint, Copaiba, Marjoram
- Tummy & Gut
Digestive Support: Peppermint, Lemon, Fennel, DigestZen can be taken internally
Enzymes: Take TerraZyme throughout the day to help soften stool
DigestTab: Chewable calcium carbonate for occasional heartburn & indigestion
- Other Family Health Concerns
Respiratory: Breathe oil, Vapor Stick, Throat Drops, Peppermint & Eucalyptus
Sleep: Serenity Softgels & oil, Vetiver, Juniper Berry, & Cedarwood
Skin: Lavender, Frankincense, Melaleuca, & Correct-X
1. Use On Guard+ Softgels as needed2. Daily Immunity Boost – Make this blend in a 10mL rollerbottle. Fill the rest with Fractionated Coconut Oil & rub on feet.Also, diffuse this blend regularly.
- 5 drops On Guard
- 4 drops Oregano
- 3 drops Frankincense
- 2 drops Melaleuca
- 1 drop Arborvitae
Adjust to members of the family: Infants x1, 5yrs+ x2, Teens & Adults x3 in 10mL roller bottle
Essential Oils and Natural Solutions
Now we will review some top essential oils that every family should have.
TIP: When looking up blends in your essential oil guide, you can use this bookmark to convert the generic names to doTERRA’s Brand names and visa versa.
On Guard Protective Blend
On Guard blend is a powerful natural protective blend.
- You can look it up in an essential oil guide Book under Protective Blend
- You can see this blend is listed as germ-destroying, purifying, and powerful cleansing agent
- Environmental threats means bacteria, parasites, and viruses.
- Clean your home with the On Guard products.
- Remember to use it daily for immunity support.
- Use it several times a day when you are unwell.
- One tip is to continue to use it 24 hours after you feel better.
- You can use Lavender directly on the skin, or defuse for aromatic application
- When your skin is stressed like during a sunburn, you can use this oil to soothe and calm
- Improves sleep and relaxing
- Helps calm emotions and relax anxious feelings
Lemon is another popular essential oils that every family should have
- Drink Lemon oil often to help healthy gut, detoxing, and lifting your mood.
- Diffuse to improve emotions and promote feelings of happiness and joy
- Remember it is not made up of the fruit. It is the oil from the rind.
Peppermint is probably the most popular essential oil
- Rub Peppermint essential oil on the bottom of the feet or on the tummy for digestive concerns.
- Inhale to improve clarity and alertness
- Peppermint blended with any oil helps drive that oil in
- Peppermint diffused with Wild Orange also helps improve your mood
TriEase Seasonal Blend
TriEase comes in softgels. The blend is just made from Lemon, Lavender, and Peppermint.
- Drink 2 drops of each with water
- Mix equal portions in a roller bottle and roll on bottom of feet or back of neck
- These three oils are all support your body’s natural antihistamines.
- This can also be purchased as a pre-prepared softgel called TriEase.
Oregano is a wonderful oil that has a variety of uses.
- Used as a powerful cleansing and purifying agent
- Supports a healthy immune system
- Supports healthy digestion and respiratory function
- Excellent source of antioxidants
- It is part of the immunity blend.
- It’s great on skin imperfections and blemishes1. For skin imperfections and blemishes apply Oregano topically on the skin imperfections and blemishes. Use 4-5 times daily on the skin imperfections and blemishes until it completely goes away.
Frankincense it the king of essential oils. There is so much that can be said about this oil.
- Supports healthy cellular function
- Promotes feelings of relaxation
- Reduces the appearance of skin imperfections
- One ingredient in Correct-X ointment
- When in doubt, and you don’t know what essential oil to use, use Frankincense.
- Frankincense is one of the ingredients in Correct-X
- Correct-X ointment helps soothe the skin and assist the skin in recovering from distress such as cuts, bruises, or abrasions.
InTune Focus Blend & Balance Grounding Blend
These are two amazing oil blends to help you be grounded and maintain focus.
- Use in the morning before school! Be consistent with these two oils.
- Enhances and sustains a sense of focus
- Supports efforts of those who have difficulty paying attention and staying on task
- Study-time blend
- May ease anxious and tense feelings
- Rub both oils on forehead, ears, back of neck and bottom of big toes
Breathe Respiratory Blend (Easy Air)
Essential Oil blend is a favorite for many people.
- Maintains feelings of clear airways and easy breathing
- Promotes a restful night’s sleep
- Helps minimize the effects of seasonal threats
- Diffuse, inhale directly from palms, or rub on chest or feet
DigestZen is your digestive blend for most of your digestive needs.
- Helps reduce bloating, gas and occasional indigestion
- Aids in the digestion of foods
- Soothes occasional stomach upset
- Add to water take internally
- Rub on tummyTake with you when you travel or when trying new foods
- This can be taken daily
AromaTouch Massage Blend
- Soothing and cooling oil blend
- Add AromaTouch blend and massage on topically for added comfort
- Apply to muscles and joints
- Here are some oil blends to help your body deal with aches and aches.
- This is your go-to massage blend. Relaxes and soothes.
- The AromaTouch oil blend is like your warm pack. Layer it on with your Ice Blue oil. Ice Blue is your cold pack.
PastTense Tension Relief Blend
- PastTense is good to relieve tension.
- Perfect to use with tension headaches.
- Try with any aches for relier
Deep Blue Soothing Blend (Ice Blue)
- Great for growing aches2, just massage
- Use fractionated coconut oil when massaging localized areas.
- Use the polyphenol blend internally for systemic inflammation.
Omega oil blend
Vitamins & Minerals
Supplement your nutrition with a daily dose of essential oils and vitamins.
- Feed your cells with the vitamins and minerals they need.
- dōTERRA’s supplements are bioavailable (they absorb easily) and they are made from food sources.
- Use supplements daily.
- Follow instructions on the bottle.
- We will talk more about these wonderful supplements in the following classes.